Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Becoming a Writer: The Competition is ON!

I became a writer when I was in second grade.  I sat next to Adam in Mrs. Newbern's classroom, and he said he had written two pages of a bunny story and bet me that I couldn't write more.

Second grade was the year the school system convinced me that I was there for more than a social reason.  All of a sudden they wanted me to take spelling tests seriously and there was this new thing called "Reach" that if I tried hard enough they would include me in.

I didn't care about any of it until Adam challenged me on that bunny story.  I forced myself to try harder and write more pages than him.

I liked making up stories and I wrote page upon pre-lined page about that bunny.  I found what was worth competing for.

Isn't that what a career choice comes down to--what you are willing to compete for?

I don't get discouraged when people criticize my writing, because that is what is most important to me. I am always looking to improve.

So somewhere along that bunny trail from second grade to adulthood we find ourselves in the constant quest for improving on that bright little light that deserves our attention.

If you are unhappy in your career, or you have been sidetracked into a career that doesn't make you feel the joy of competition, maybe you need to reflect on second grade or whatever moment struck you in free-form to find that spirit that made you want to compete because it was so worth it.

Get paid for your passion.

1 comment: